The iPhone case show
Sure, you can find lots of phones at CTIA, but the trade show also is paradise for anyone looking for an iPhone case. NEW ORLEANS–When Apple introduced the iPhone 4 in 2010, it sported a new radical design with a full sheet of glass on its backside. While striking, the design didn’t take kindly to drops on the sidewalk and the wrap-around antenna presented some unfortunate attenuation problems. Neither scenario was best for consumers, but it also created a boon for anyone eager to make an iPhone case. And at the 2012 CTIA, it was clear that there’s a lot of innovation behind such a practical product.
I began my last morning at CTIA visiting with Tech21, a London-based company furiously in the race to create a durable iPhone case. Sure, rugged cases are nothing new, but Tech21 showed an inside look at the science behind indestructibility. Its products use a non-Newtonion substance called D30, which absorbs shocks and deflects the impact away from your handset. In its “natural” form, D30 is sort of orange goo that you can stretch like taffy, but it’s solid as a rock when you smack it with a hammer. Tech21 takes D30 and molds it into all kinds of cases, from a simple ring that resembles the “bumper” cases that Apple gave away two years ago to a fully submersible case that will float on water. Check out the slideshow for a closer look at Tech21 and see how other companies are making their mark in the very crowded world of iPhone cases. And for more from CTIA 2012, seeCNET’s full coverage.
- iPhone 5S To Launch June 20, Go On Sale July
- Some iOS 6.1.3 Users Hit By Battery Drain & Wi-Fi Issues
- Evasi0n Jailbreak Thwarted By iOS 6.1.3
- iPhone 5S Will Bring Back ‘One More Thing’
- Apple To Get Its Groove Back With New Products
- Apple May Be Close to Resolving Brazilian iPhone Trademark Fight
- Apple Ups Lead Over Android Among Business Users
- Apple, Samsung To Offer Wireless Phone Charging
- Samsung’s Investment In Sharp Could Prick Apple
- Apple iPhone 5s Production Rumoured To Have Already Begun